Showing 1 - 20 of 38 , query time: 0.16s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Red Canyon Ranch house in Edwards built in 1924.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Main house on the Leonard Horn Ranch built in 1921.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Remains of the Sherwood quarry drum and pulley structure on the Horn Ranch property in Red Canyon. The drum is visible from I-70. Stone from this quarry was used to build the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver. "The archive of the Colorado Historical Museum offers a bit more information about the quarry site. A typewritten transcript titled 'Memories of Eagle County in the 1880s,' authored by Amy M. Bowen, the daughter of Avon area homesteader John...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Man standing on the cliff at Red Point, on the north side of the Eagle River. The railroad tracks can be seen in the valley below. Leonard Horn frequently jumped his horse across the crevice between the cliff and the hillside.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking down on the Sherwood bridge from the Sherwood quarry drum. Hwy 6 is at the top, the Eagle River is flowing under the Sherwood bridge and I-70 is at the bottom. At the turn of the century, major routes in the Colorado mountains were steep, rocky grades, little more than wagon tracks. By 1910, cars were becoming more prominent but Colorado roads were in terrible condition. That year, the State Highway Commission established Highway 10 from...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking north across the Eagle River from U.S. Hwy 6 with the Leonard Horn ranch house in the distance. The Sherwood bridge would be downstream to the left. There appear to be people in the clearing by the river under the pines.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Charles and Robert" seated on a mule at Neff's Ranch. Marcus Neff owned the Red Canyon ranch from 1911 to 1932, when he sold to Buck Beatty. He moved to Red Cliff and owned and operated the Battle Mountain Transportation Company. Charles and Robert are not identified further.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Remains of the Sherwood quarry drum and pulley structure on the Horn Ranch property in Red Canyon. The drum is visible from I-70. Stone from this quarry was used to build the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver. "The archive of the Colorado Historical Museum offers a bit more information about the quarry site. A typewritten transcript titled 'Memories of Eagle County in the 1880s,' authored by Amy M. Bowen, the daughter of Avon area homesteader John...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Kathy Heicher, president of the Eagle County Historical Society, discussing Red Canyon quarry history with participants during the Open Space tour. [April 20, 2014: first tour of the Horn Ranch property, sponsored by the Eagle County Open Space Department. The conservation easement on the property allows limited numbers of the public to tour the historic cliff property four times a year.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The house was built in 1880-90's. It was moved from Keystone mines near Oak Creek in 1944 to the Leonard Horn Ranch. The house was sawed in half to get accross the frozen Colorado River at State Bridge in order to make the move. There is a barbed wire fence in the foreground and a rug airing on the porch rail.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Red cliff at Red Point in Red Canyon, Horn Ranch property. Leonard Horn frequently jumped his horse across the crevice between the cliff and the hillside. [April 20, 2014: first tour of the Horn Ranch property, sponsored by the Eagle County Open Space Department. The conservation easement on the property allows limited numbers of the public to tour the historic cliff property four times a year.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Cross and bleachers on Red Cliff [Red Canyon] used for Easter sunrise services in the 1960s and 1970s. When you are looking at the cross, you are looking directly east up the valley. "According the the [Eagle Valley] Enterprise archives, the cross was installed by [Leonard] Horn in 1962 after Rev. Mann of the Eagle Methodist Church sought permission to hold a sunrise service on the site on Easter morning. The cross, although never cemented into...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Interior of the Howe cabin, restored by Jack Oleson. Jack created the "stove" from actual stove parts and a wooden box. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The camel-back bridge over the Eagle River on U.S. Hwy 6 & 24, approximately 5-6 miles east of Eagle, Colorado.Behind the train, is the Leonard Horn ranch with ranch houses to the left of the tall pine tree at center. Rube Creek flows by the ranch houses. The dirt road at left goes to the ranch.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Leonard Horn on Red Point, on the north side of the Eagle River near Wolcott. He frequently jumped his horse across the crevice between the cliff and the hillside. The Horn ranch is visible at far left.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Bill Heicher, Eagle County Historical Society volunteer, explains the historic stagecoach route over Bellyache to Rex Brown. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Interior of the blacksmith shop. The building is actually the home that Jack Oleson was born in at Gypsum. He moved the building to the Diamond S Ranch in 2012. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Byron McGinnis moving cattle below the Howe homestake cabin on Bellyache during the tour. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Two bulls vie for dominance during a cattle drive on Bellyache. Byron McGinnis will tell them to move it along. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Horsemen Byron McGinnis (left) and Carl Gray drive cattle on Bellyache during the tour. A tour of the ranch was conducted by the Eagle County Historical Society and the Diamond S Ranch on October 5, 2013.