Showing 1 - 20 of 164 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Returning to Gilman for a tour on July 26, 1997. The entrance to the Garnett family's basement,
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Standing above the cavern in the Gilman mine where the ball and rod mills are housed. The mills are on an incline for gravity feed down to the loading docks. At the center right of the photo, steel rods are stacked for use in the rod mill.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Office of the New Jersey Zinc Company at Gilman, Colorado.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Frank Maloit retirement party from New Jersey Zinc Co. Frank is in the center wearing a boutonniere. "Mr. and Mrs. Frank Maloit were guests of honor at a cocktail-dinner party in Gilman Saturday, when 115 guests--employees of the New Jersey Zinc Company and other friends gathered to extend their best wishes to the Maloits who are leaving Gilman Nov. 20 to make their home in Grand Junction." -- Leadville Herald Nov. [?] 1958. [Title supplied from...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Using a level to make sure the mine tailings flume is canted to the right angle. Tailings were piped from Gilman as a slurry and, as the slurry dried, it became the same consistency as a fine sand.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Maloit Park showing the playground area in the back left. The park is east of Minturn on Highway 24 approximately two miles. The New Jersey Zinc Co. recreation grounds were renamed Maloit Park in November of 1958. The park was dedicated on July 4th, 1959, becoming a public facility. Frank Maloit retired in the spring of 1959 after being affiliated with the Company at Gilman since 1922.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Wood framing used to support walls and overhead in the mine at Gilman, known as ”Mitchell Sets."
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Sign at the entrance of Gilman, Colorado, for the Eagle Mine, Empire Zinc Division, New Jersey Zinc Co. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Darrell Barnes supervising the play at Maloit park. Darrell was the chief accountant at Gilman for many years.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Studio portrait of Frank Maloit, superintendent of the Gilman Mine beginning in 1922. Maloit Park in Minturn is named after Mr. Maloit. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Verso: "D-158. Mining Town in the Rockies. Perched on the side of Battle Mountain above the deep and narrow Eagle River Canyon, the modern mining community of Gilman is a picturesque sight along U.S. 24 between Leadville and Minturn, Colorado."
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The main shaft house for the New Jersey Zinc Co. is the tall building at far right. The stacked lumber is for mine stoping. This view is facing north.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Returning to Gilman for a tour on July 26, 1997. The coal shed (on right) at the Garnett family's residence; the steps lead to the yard where Shirley Wenziker is standing.,
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Frank Maloit and an executive from the New Jersey Zinc Co., standing in the snow at Gilman, Colorado. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Returning to Gilman for a tour on July 26, 1997. Photo of the May's residence. Shirley Winziker Washburne is standing on the boardwalk in front of the house. Behind the house, there is a coal shed and steps leading up to a street.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The New Jersey Zinc Company office in Gilman, Colorado. The cinder block portion, which was the newer portion of the office, was constructed in approximately 1953. [license plate 1953]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
[Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Dick Sayers (left) and John Skinner, examining ore in the ore cars. Both men are wearing headlamps.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Using a lift to move drums of chemicals in the Gilman mine.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
At 16 level, the ore train would dump rock into the large pit (Grizzly) at the bottom of which was located a jaw crusher. The crusher would send the ore into the ball mill and rod mill where the ore was pulverized to a fine powder. Inside the ball mill, there would be ore and steel balls, approximately 10 in. in diameter. As the mill rotated, the ore was crushed by the balls. Eventually, the balls would wear down and Bob Riggle remembers his dad...