Showing 1 - 20 of 143 , query time: 0.64s
4) Maloit Park
Maloit Park showing the playground area in the back left. The park is east of Minturn on Highway 24 approximately two miles. The New Jersey Zinc Co. recreation grounds were renamed Maloit Park in November of 1958. The park was dedicated on July 4th, 1959, becoming a public facility. Frank Maloit retired in the spring of 1959 after being affiliated with the Company at Gilman since 1922.
At 16 level, the ore train would dump rock into the large pit (Grizzly) at the bottom of which was located a jaw crusher. The crusher would send the ore into the ball mill and rod mill where the ore was pulverized to a fine powder. Inside the ball mill, there would be ore and steel balls, approximately 10 in. in diameter. As the mill rotated, the ore was crushed by the balls. Eventually, the balls would wear down and Bob Riggle remembers his dad...