Showing 1 - 20 of 34 , query time: 0.03s
A view of Main Street in Granite, Colorado, after the devastating fire of 1897. The Salida Mail reported on May 25, 1897: 'The town of Granite was almost entirely destroyed by fire yesterday. The origin of the fire was from a defective flue. The principal block of buildings, all of frame and log were completely destroyed. The property of the railroad was not damaged. The total loss was $10,000.00, fairly well covered by insurance.' Image courtesy...
A view of Main Street in Granite, Colorado, after the devastating fire of 1897. The Salida Mail reported on May 28, 1897: 'The fire broke out in what is known as the Granite house, and was caused, it is supposed, by a defective flue. This building is occupied by George Kipcel, who deals in groceries and merchandise, and is also used as a boarding house. After totally wiping out this building the flames swept down and took in and totally destroyed...